The Birth Story

28 Apr

Now that the boys and I are finally getting into a routine and I’m getting some sleep, I’m going to do what I’ve been wanting to do for 11 weeks… blog about the day they came into the world.

It started on Monday, February 11.  I went to my biweekly non-stress test to monitor the babies.  At the test, baby B’s heart rate decelerated one time in the 20 minutes that the test took.  The doctor didn’t seem too worried, but they wanted to send me to the hospital to be monitored for a few more hours.  I went home and Dan and I headed down the Good Sam.  We’d spent a lot of time there being monitored, but this was the first time that we were put into a labor and delivery room.  We were usually in a special care room for pregnant women trying to stay pregnant.  It was a little disconcerting, but since I was 34 weeks and 6 days, I was told that I was there just in case.  Our nurse was a little nutty and very talkative.  As a hobby, she showed Great Pyrenees at dog shows.  We saw pictures.  As I was being monitored, baby B’s heart rate decelerated a few more times.  A doctor visited and even though she wasn’t too concerned, I was now going to be staying the night at the hospital.  Dan went home to pick up our overnight bags.  While he was gone the nurse came in because baby B’s heart rate had decelerated again.  She started to push on my belly and then she became a little frantic.  She pushed a button and had me turn from one side to the other.  Suddenly, 5 other people rushed into the room, an oxygen mask was put over my head and several people were pushing on my belly.  I was scared and Dan wasn’t back yet.  Baby B’s heart rate went back up, and the doctors and nurses started to calm down and leave the room.  I called Dan, teary, telling him to hurry because I had no idea what was going to happen next.  I also started to contact family.  When Dan got back, I was having painful contractions and the doctor had decided that I should go ahead and get an epidural, just in case I went into labor.  She still wasn’t convinced that I would have the babies that night, but I was dilated 4 cm and they were going to let me rest for the night to see if I progressed on my own.  I got my epidural and then I wasn’t allowed to eat, so I ate my ice chips and Dan and I settled in for the night.  At one point, a nurse offered me a popsicle and I was pretty excited about it.  Dan’s parents came down, but since it looked like I was going to make it through the night, we sent them home.  Eventually, it got late and Dan and I both went to sleep.


Around 3am, I was uncomfortable and since I couldn’t move my legs I called the nurse in to help me change positions.  When I shifted over to my side, suddenly baby B’s heart rate decelerated to the 50s, which was dangerously low.  That’s when things got really scary.  The lights flipped on and doctors and nurses surrounded my bed.  They yanked out my monitors, threw scrubs at Dan and ran me and my bed down the hall to the OR.  The activity in the OR was fast-paced.  One nurse was hovering over my head trying to make sure I was okay, but I was scared.  Dr. Smith leaned over and told me that baby B’s heart rate was back up and that they weren’t in a rush any more, but they were still going to go ahead with the C-section because baby B was ready.  Things slowed down and the anesthesiologist came back in to make me even more numb and Dan was finally let in.  I started to shiver from the medication and Dan came over to hold my hand.  Somehow he managed to remember the camera.  They put the blue sheet up to block my view from the surgery and I guess the doctor poked me because she asked if I could feel her poking me.  I couldn’t.  It seemed like just a few moments later, when I heard a suctioning sound and the most wonderful cry.  That’s when I saw Dominic Joseph for the first time.  He was perfect.


I cried when I saw that tiny little body and then I started worrying about baby B.  I wanted to hear another cry.  It didn’t take long.  1 minute later, at 3:31am, there was a second suctioning sound and a second cry.  An even tinier, perfect baby appeared.  We’d call him Leo Richard.


I looked to my left, where nurses surrounded my two boys hoping that they wouldn’t be taken away.  Dan stood up to see how they were doing.  Dominic weighed 5 lbs 3 oz and Leo weighed 4 lbs 8 oz.  “Are they okay?”  I asked Dan repeatedly.  After a few minutes, the nurses said that they were fine and that they wouldn’t have to go to the NICU.  I was relieved and in awe.  My babies were here and they were safe.  I was finally a mommy.  And Dan was a daddy.


And the adventure began.

4 Responses to “The Birth Story”

  1. Trish April 28, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

    What a beautiful story. I am so happy for you and thankful that your boys are healthy and sounds to me like they have two pretty wonderful parents. :) God bless you and them as they continue to grow! And…thank heavens for Baby Wise! It was a true blessing with each one of our boys! Congratulations again! Hugs! :)

  2. Marcy April 29, 2013 at 8:21 am #

    Aw. Tearing up over here! Love those babies. Glad I can be a part of the adventure! :)

  3. Aunt Ann April 29, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

    Thank you so much for sharing this! I hope to see your babies this summer.
    Love to all,
    Aunt Ann

  4. Mom May 4, 2013 at 11:44 am #

    I was glad that I could be in the picture early and enjoy Dominic and Leo. i hope to have many happy times with them along with the rest of the grandchildren. I wish for a picture of all my grandchildren soon. Hummm!!

Leave a Reply